[time-nuts] 1 pps Sync'ing

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon Jun 25 14:38:19 UTC 2018

Steve,

> I need the rising edges of both the 10 MHz and 100 MHz squarewave outputs
> to be aligned with the GPS 1 pps (UTC) to within 1 ns.

Two comments.

1) If you divide 100 MHz -> 10 MHz -> 1 Hz then (with careful design, calibrated layout / wiring) you can have all three rising edges within 1 ns *of each other*. I assume this is your goal. If you already have a 100 MHz GPSDO then it would surprise me if the outputs are not already synchronized with each other. I mean, almost all GPSDO give a 1PPS output that is derived from the LO, by design. If your goal is 1 ns, you obviously do not want to use the raw 1PPS from the receiver. What make/model GPSDO are you using?

2) On the other hand, if your goal is that all the outputs are within 1 ns *of UTC*, then you have a big problem. Not even national timing laboratories, with a pile of cesium and H-maser references, can get their UTC(k) within 1 ns of UTC. Perhaps you can explain a bit more what you are actually doing. It sounds like an interesting application. Relative timing at the 1 ns level is easy. Absolute UTC timing at the ns level is much, much harder.

/tvb