[time-nuts] 1 pps sync'ing

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Jun 29 14:45:20 UTC 2018

Hi

If the 1 PPS is from something like a Maser ( so it’s not all over the place)
*and* the 100 MHz is from something like an OCXO (so it also is reasonably
stable), this all gets down to PLL design.

Since it’s 1 pps in, you need a process that will resolve the input phase
reliably to << 1 ns. That is not trivial, but it can be done. You also need
a stable way to get from 100 MHz to 1 pps. The “just do it with an
FPGA” does not cover all the issues there…. there are a number of
delays that are going to vary.

Once you have that worked out, there *will* be some time period over
which you will achieve your 1 ns number to some level of confidence.
There will never be an absolute guarantee.

Bob