[time-nuts] 1 pps sync'ing

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 15:28:59 UTC 2018

I might point out that bringing the edges into final alignment might most
easily be
accomplished with coaxial lines trimmed to the right lengths.  At most the
line for
 10 MHz would need to be ~66 feet long (assuming the usual 66% VF for
polyethylene
dielectric), and the worst case length for the 100 MHz signal would be
under ~7 feet.

I suspect that the logic circuitry (and possibly the delay lines) for this
project may
need some degree of temperature stabilization as well, in order to maintain
the
desired alignment accuracy over time.

Dana Whitlow

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 10:12 AM, Artek Manuals <Manuals at artekmanuals.com>
wrote:

> Maybe I am missing something obvious here but after using the 1PPS/10MHz
> reference multiplied up to 100 MHz cant you just insert a passive L/C phase
> shift network at the input (or output) of the multiplier chain and tune one
> of the "C" legs in the phase shift network to align the  edges (change the
> the delay slightly) of the two waveforms? Temperature stability of the
> phase shift network might be a problem ? What are the other drawbacks of
> this simple approach?
>
> -DC
> manuals at artekmanuals.com
>
> On Jun 29, 2018, at 9:13 AM, Martyn Smith <martyn at ptsyst.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>

>>> My colleague Steve asked a question about wanting to generate a 10 MHz
>>> and
>>> 100 MHz squarewaves with both rising edges aligned to a reference 1 pps