[time-nuts] Setting Z3801 date

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Mar 2 22:26:15 UTC 2018

Hi

> On Mar 2, 2018, at 5:05 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:
>
> Thorbjørn Pedersen said:
>> Try this:
>> Disconnect antenna.
>> Power off / power on.
>> Set date correctly. (You have the commands?)
>> Connect antenna.
>> Let it survey and stabilize....
>
> That's what I remember.
>
> The first problem is that the Z3801 doesn't accept dates after 2007.  It
> gives an E-222 error.  (I forget the text, it's something like out-of-range.)
> I didn't search for the exact cutoff.  I just edited the year and tried
> again, so it's somewhere in 2007 or 2008.
>
> The second problem is that I'm using an "antenna challenged" setup.  So it
> takes a while to latch on to the satellites.
>
> But I tried again.  This time, I set it to 2007 and after waiting long
> enough, GPS got synced and time jumped to the correct time.
>
> Thanks for the poke.
>
> -------
>
> Then I shifted to the KS-24361
>
> It doesn't complain about the dates it doesn't like.  It just doesn't do
> anything with them.
>
> It takes dates after 2007.  I forget the exact break point.
>
> But when the GPS syncs up, it jumps to 1998.  ??  Sigh.

Even with newer hardware, there are still weird date issues. The simple
fact that these GPSDO’s keep on running at all is a bit amazing.

Best to simply use the PPS from the GPSDO and get the date / hours /
minutes / seconds tag  info by some other means. Let that “other means”
sort out leap seconds and all the other nonsense that is likely to tie things in knots.
We do have a GPS week zero coming up soon ….

Bob