[time-nuts] Microsemi up for sale?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Mar 4 08:21:56 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 03/04/2018 04:04 AM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
> When I was working on fiber optic communication test,
> I remember hearing about lasers that were "tuned" with
> variable Peltier coolers.  Power consumption is critical in
> a cesium standard that can run on batteries.  Maybe
> the power consumption of the coolers is a deal breaker.

The peltier elements is needed and nowdays integrated with laserdiodes.
For telecom lasers, which is fully integrated, wavelength shift with
temperature and Peltier elements is needed to temperature-stabilize them
when you run DWDM, which is the telecom scenario which is close, as the
ITU-T channels is 100 GHz apart on a 199 THz base for the 1550 nm window.

So, peltier elements is needed for sure.

However, I wonder if there really is much power involved.

Cheers,
Magnus