[time-nuts] Recommendations for Mains Power Monitor / Logger

d.schuecker at avm.de d.schuecker at avm.de
Mon Mar 12 11:13:51 UTC 2018

Hi,

I did my recordings of grid frequency and cycle count with my homebrew
device.

https://www.tindie.com/products/DetlefS/mains-ac-frequency-meter/
http://www.dschuecker.de/

The heart is a STM ARM processor, which samples the grid voltage at 160ks/s
behind a step-down transformer, slow enough to handle the data in realtime.
It is clocked with a TCXO, off 0.4ppm. I do a sinewave-fit on any single
cycle. Measured precision on an artifical 50Hz sine wave is 1.4E-4 Hz,
which comes close to a jitter of 60ns. Precision is heavily affected by
transients and harmonics, so an aggressive digital filtering is necessary,
analog filtering is not sufficient. The step response of this filter limits
the response of the device to changing frequency.

Cycle count should not be affected by glitches. I use hysteresis and time
windowing on the sampled and filtered data for counting.

The data is presented on a RS232 interface and pumped to the cloud by a
Raspberry running a Python script.

I knew a bit about FNET but I was not aware of www.naspi.org. Are there
similar initiatives in Europe?

Cheers