[time-nuts] Need a Watch Recommendation

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Mar 15 13:13:55 UTC 2018

Hi

> On Mar 15, 2018, at 1:33 AM, Dana Whitlow <k8yumdoober at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I concur with Bill.  And even if one keeps tabs on the current watch error,
> as is the usual practice by celestial navigators, once that error reaches
> or exceeds more than a minute the process frankly gets more clumsy and
> error prone.  And if a watch drifts in time very rapidly, one loses faith
> in its
> ability to coast at a known rate between checks against WWV, which
> opportunities are not always available when one wants, due to
> propagation issues.
>
> Whatever happened to the quartz watches with trimmer capacitors
> for setting the rate?

Trimmer caps to set watch crystals are problematic. They are a source of error
as well as a set mechanism. You bump this or that and the trimmer moves. They
also cost money to buy and install properly (no flux in-between the plates …).
Once that is all done you need a way to set them in the factory. Back in the day,
yes, we hat line workers who did that sort of thing. We also sold the crystal in the
watch module (not the whole module) for $2 once upon a time.

How close do you want to set it? In our case, the set was supposed to be < 0.5
ppm of the target. Ideally you needed a design that would do a small fraction
of a ppm in a typical situation.

If the trimmer is a normal device, you get about 120 degrees of travel for the
useful part of the tuning curve. A tune range of 30 ppm for the crystal and another
20 ppm for the other parts would not be unusual. Even taking the 0.5 ppm number,
you are into 120 / 100 = 1.2 degrees sort of set on that little trimmer.

Bottom line: They went away because they weren’t good enough and they were
to expensive …. Setting a modern “shoot the chip” register based module is way
more accurate and reliable. It’s silicon so the cost is whatever sand is selling
for ….

Bob