[time-nuts] WWVB Antenna revisited/Spectracom 8182

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Thu Mar 22 19:45:49 UTC 2018

Donald,

Your Skyscan radio clock, as well as all other consumer-grade WWVB clocks & watches, will continue to work. The new format was designed to be compatible with the old format so any receiver that gets time only from the AM subcode will continue to work.

It's the commercial time & *frequency* receivers that don't work anymore. This is because the new format creates rapid phase shifts in the 60 kHz carrier which break the PLL design used in legacy receivers.

There's tons of time-nuts postings over the years on the subject. If you want a fun h/w and s/w project you can solve the problem for your receiver. Or google a bit and find some WWVB emulator projects which mimic the old signal well enough to keep receivers like Spectracom happy. Plus you won't need to hunt for a loop antenna for your 8182.

If you just want a home clock that's accurate at the sub-second level, consider a computer (NTP) or time.gov or GPS or GPSDO or smart phone or even NIST dial-up. Over the decades we've lost Omega, GOES, Loran-C and the carrier part of WWVB. But when you think of it, cell phones, the internet, and GPS (and GLONASS, Galileo, Beidou) are a pretty good replacement for those vintage time services.

/tvb

----- Original Message -----
From: "D. Resor" <organlists at pacbell.net>
To: "'Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement'" <time-nuts at febo.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2018 12:13 PM
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] WWVB Antenna revisited/Spectracom 8182

I remember being told about this years ago, but it had not registered in my mind recently that it was the format which had changed.  For some reason I thought it was the transmission frequency.

I'm a little baffled though, I purchased both of my SkyScan clocks, prior to these changes.  Yet they both still set themselves (when propagation allows) correctly.   One would think inexpensive products would be sacrificed verses the more expensive equipment.

What are example(s) of the "gizmo" which will convert the new format to the old one?

I realized later after reading more about the antenna I am looking at that it has a DC blocking capacitor built in, therefore it should be fine.  This is what happens when I spend too much time during the wee hours of the night/morning with a mind which becomes even more cloudy.

Thanks

Donald Resor
N6KAW