[time-nuts] Setting correct date on Trimble Thunderbolt receiver

Nick Sayer nsayer at kfu.com
Wed Mar 28 02:27:24 UTC 2018

In general, I believe whether you can work around the 1024 week problem and if so, how, tends to be a receiver-by-receiver thing (or at least manufacturer-by-manufacturer).

I’m most familiar with the SkyTraq Venus838, and those have a sliding window system where you set a “reference date” and the receiver will always assume that date is inside the window. At least once every 1024 weeks, you’re supposed to set that to the current date (it’s a binary command and they have software that will do this for you), and then you’ll get another 1024 weeks without having to do anything.

My GPSDOs don’t have a TX path from the controller to the receiver, but you can talk to the receiver directly with the diagnostic connector and update the reference date that way. My GPS Clocks will set the reference date once a year (if the current year != the reference date year, then it is set, and this check is made once an hour. Having the date correct matters for DST decisions).