[time-nuts] Introduction, new list member, Ms Tisha Hayes, AA4HA

Ruslan Nabioullin rnabioullin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 03:52:45 UTC 2018

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 9:49 PM, Tisha Hayes <tisha.hayes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Perry and I would make our pilgrimages to the Huntsville Ham Fest and
> usually I ended up buying equipment from him. One of the items he sent my
> way was an HP 3586B that I am finally beginning to put to use.

Hmm that measuring receiver model (diffs can be found in:
http://www.militaryradio.com/manuals/HP/hp3586-a-b-c.pdf ) was apparently
intended for testing and troubleshooting purposes for those ancient
FDM-based POTS trunk systems, not as a general-purpose HF measuring
receiver (the HP 3586C)---I'm not sure how well they would function as HF
receivers for WWV and CHU following impedance adaptation (b/c it doesn't
have a 50 ohm unbalanced interface).

In my case, I supply my time transfer volunteers with the following setup:

vertical antenna -> TVSS -> preamplifier -> military rackmount preselector
-> military/intelligence rackmount parametric demodulator or HP 3586C ->
Xeon NTP server via soundcard

with GNU/Linux daemon software which commands the preselector and
demodulator via GPIB.

Still, WWV/CHU-derived public NTP nodes are virtually nonexistent, and
therefore there's a strong need for them, regardless of the sophistication
of the receiver, due to the pitfalls of GNSS.

-Ruslan

--
Ruslan Nabioullin
Wittgenstein Laboratories