[time-nuts] TV Signals as a frequency reference

w4wj at aol.com w4wj at aol.com
Sat Mar 31 06:00:02 UTC 2018

Hello all...

One limitation, back in the day, when the network
signal was being passed thru to the local markets...

Many stations used a frame sync to time the network
signal to the local house signal.  In other words the
network reference was stripped and retimed to the
house so as to avoid picture roll during switching
transitions between local and network programming.

So that meant that the local and network signals were
locked to the local sync generator which used a
fairly stable TCXO, not cesium or Rb.

Other stations would trim their local oscillator to
match the network phase without the need for a
frame sync.  This meant that someone was responsible
for monitoring how their local oscillator was tracking
against the network.

I spent over 35 years at WTVJ in Miami and over
the years we had an inventory of over 40 frame
syncs to lock remote feeds to house sync.

73
Don
W4WJ