[time-nuts] Timestamping audio waveforms

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Mar 31 19:35:31 UTC 2018

On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 10:41:45 -0400
Tim Shoppa <tshoppa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can Audacity do this kind of timestamping for me based on the system clock?

I don't know about audacity, but writing a small program in c that
reads from the soundcard and does the timestamping is pretty easy.
Should be less than 50 lines of code, with error checking and all.
You can use [1] as a decent starting point.

One important point: Switch off all other applications that access
the soundcard, as some of these are pretty nasty when it comes
to their behaviour. Especially pulseaudio is known to mess with
all kinds of settings while running.... Oh, and don't even try
to run anything ontop of pulseaudio, it is known to mess up
audio timing by several 10ms, sometimes even over 100ms.

		Attila Kinali

[1] https://gist.github.com/albanpeignier/104902

--
<JaberWorky>	The bad part of Zurich is where the degenerates
                throw DARK chocolate at you.