[time-nuts] TV Signals as a frequency reference

w4wj at aol.com w4wj at aol.com
Sat Mar 31 21:00:08 UTC 2018

Dana...

Back in the day when out of studio news stories were
shot on film, which was then processed at the studio
and broadcast from a "film chain" stations would lock
their sync generators to the incoming network signal
during network hours.  That allowed "clean" switching
in and out of network programming.

When you were in the local programming portion of the
day, the local sync generator would not be "looking" at
the network signal for reference.  That was done because
there may have been times when the AT&T microwave
network was down for maintenance.  Obviously this was
before the days of satellite delivery of the network services.

You are correct...  when the "Live Truck" came on the
scene with instant on scene video, etc, the demand
for frame syncs at each station went up.

Our first frame sync at, WTVJ in Miami, had been used
at the Cape for some of the moon shots.  It was a huge
box, occupying about two feet of rack space!

Later frame syncs, would drop in size to 1RU!

All those frame syncs were locked to our local
master sync generator.  At one of our monitoring
positions I could compare our local 3.58MHz
color burst frequency to the networks and adjust
the phase so they were in agreement.  This was
just a good method of checking our "in house"
reference to have it on frequency.  If the 3.58
was on frequency, all the other outputs from
the master sync generator would be correct.

Later sync generators were GPS disciplined.

BTW... our later model analog transmitter was GPS locked
with one of the original HP boxes.  I remember ordering the
HP and then WAITING forever for it to arrive.  ;-)

In the interim, the transmitter ran on it's TCXO box.

We had twice yearly frequency measurements done
by a monitoring service up the coast.

73
Don
W4WJ