[time-nuts] 4046 replacement

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Sun May 6 11:02:54 UTC 2018

Alexander wrote:

> but as I wrote a while ego ADI has a bit different chip which is free of
> dead zone and much faster

Hell, there are literally hundreds of PLL chips, lots of them better at
various things than the 4046.  I did not suggest that the 4046/7046/9046
is the best PLL for any particular purpose (and I did say I rarely use
them).  My points were just (i) that the 4046 doesn't perform as
terribly as a lot of people seem to think if you know a few easy tricks,
and (ii) that the 9046 is better on all counts without the need for such
tricks.

It seems that lots of people like the 4046 series chips (including the
7046 and 9046), partly due to familiarity, partly because there are
thousands of published circuits that use them and not everybody wants to
completely redesign circuits that are already known to work, and
certainly because they are dirt cheap (unlike the fancier Analog Devices
parts, some of which are quite pricey).  I thought these folks might
like to know how to optimize performance with the 4046/7046/9046 series,
and to be reminded about the design tools available for them.

Charles