[time-nuts] WWVB: measuring local 60 KHz noise

Alberto di Bene dibene at usa.net
Sun May 6 20:53:13 UTC 2018

On 5/6/2018 6:39 AM, Charles Steinmetz wrote:
> So, yes, a sound card designed for signals up to ~22kHz should handle
> SAQ at ~17kHz, but sound cards that can digitize signals above 22kHz are
> rare.  Some "professional" sound cards handle signal frequencies up to
> ~40kHz, but very, very few handle signal frequencies higher than that.
> There are also digitizers designed more for instrumentation and data
> acquisition than audio that may meet your requirements.
Bob and Charles,

   you are of course both quite right.
The card used for SAQ was the Delta 44 which is a semi-professional card.

For higher frequencies I have had quite good results with the E-MU 1212M, which
is a professional, mastering grade, sound card, used also in recording studios.

http://www.creative.com/emu/products/product.aspx?pid=19169

Not exactly inexpensive, but its 120dB signal-to-noise ratio cannot be overlooked.

73  Alberto  I2PHD