[time-nuts] Commercially available empty ovens for oscillator testing?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat May 12 19:33:57 UTC 2018

Hi

There are places that sell them. Most are looking for a couple thousand dollars for
one. If that is inside your budget you might get in touch with them. Far cheaper to
get an eBay scrap OCXO and use its parts.

An OCXO depends on the combination of two things to make it stable:

1) The oven holds temperature well

2) The crystal in the oscillator is cut to be *very* flat temperature wise at the oven temperature.

(yes there’s more to it than that, but we’re keeping things simple)

Both are equally important if you are after the sort of thing you see in a normal OCXO.
A typical oscillator may well have a crystal that is 100 to 1,000 times “less flat” than
what is used in an OCXO.

Bob