[time-nuts] GPS Timing Antenna Failure - Long

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat May 12 21:16:10 UTC 2018

Hi

As mentioned a number of times, quadrafilar antennas were only popular for a very short
while back in the 1980’s. Once people started using GPS for “stuff” they rapidly lost out in
the antenna race. They were made popular by an early NIST paper. Later on NIST effectively
said “oops !!” in reference to that paper.

So yes, any modern GPS antenna is likely to be a patch antenna. Trimble and Novatel both
have “exotic” antennas, but they still are fundamentally a patch.

Why all of this? Multi-path.  You want to *reject* signals close to the horizon since they are
the ones most likely to be distorted by reflections.  Indeed choke rings and the various other
exotic approaches are all aimed at multiparty rejection by reducing gain at (or below) the horizon.

Bob