[time-nuts] TruePosition GPSDO Holdover Issues

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun May 13 18:05:50 UTC 2018

Hi

When you are looking at timing, the SBAS / WAAS sat’s really don’t count as part of the total
of 4 that you need for a basic fix. There also iis the subtle distinction of “tracking” vs “locked to”
on some devices. Tracking means we might get adequate data soon and locked means it is
good enough to use on those devices.In that case, only the “locked” sats count towards the
minimum of 4 that you must have.

Past the minimum of 4 rule, most GPSDO’s also want to see that set of devices for some period
of time before they come out of holdover. You will drop in very quickly ( a second or two), but come
out slowly ( many minutes). Local noise can in some cases be enough to put you in holdover.

Bob