[time-nuts] Bodnar "Precision Frequency Reference (GPS Clock)" AND LeoNTP Networked Time NTP Server Questions

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Fri May 18 12:16:18 UTC 2018

Caution, folks, about USB cable radiation.  While the intended signals
flowing through the
cable presumably contribute a bit to the overall picture, common-mode
currents on the cable
are the most likely cause of severe radiation problems.  These currents
arise not merely from
intended USB signals, but from *all* the digital activity within the
device, and will be present
whether or not USB communications are going on.

The keys to controlling this problem are:

1) Shielding on the USB cable.
2) Proper design inside the USB device, rarely done beyond the point of
(barely) meeting
     government regulations, which are far too forgiving IMHO.
3) Use of a ferrite choke on the cable to reduce those residual currents
that get by anyway.

Note that only item 3 might be under the control of the user to any useful
extent.

So please don't just assume that using a USB cable for charging only solves
anything.

Note that the above comments are also generally applicable to *all *cables,
including power
cables, that are plugged into *any* digital device.

Dana    K8YUM