[time-nuts] Cesium Clock Avialable

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat May 19 17:02:32 UTC 2018

Hi

> On May 19, 2018, at 11:22 AM, Dana Whitlow <k8yumdoober at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Don't Cesium clocks have a beam current integrator of sorts so that it's
> possible
> to pretty accurately assess the remaining life of the tube?  If not, I'm
> terribly

Simple answer - no. The ones we are playing with came out *long* before you could do
anything like that in a practical way. Even today I know of no atomic standard made by
anybody that does something like that.

> surprised and disappointed.
>
> Also, beginning with a new tube, roughly how long can one be run until it
> reaches exhaustion?  Are we speaking months, years, decades, or what?

Rated life on a high performance tube is in the 5 to 7 year range. I have indeed proven that
to be correct with a couple of tubes run on a 24/7/365 basis. A “standard grade” tube should
run for 2 or 3 times that long. A lot depends on exactly which model tube from what era and
who made the specific tube.

Tubes are not the only thing that dies in a Cs standard. The older ones ( = what we play with)
are mostly full of leaded parts described in manuals and schematics. They may not all be made
anymore, but various substitutes are out there. Also, chassis for Cs standards with dead
tubes are pretty common. It’s the tubes we are most likely to run out of ….

Of course you *can* get a nice new tube from the factory. Last time I did that the bill was
about $38,000. That included them putting it in.

Bob