[time-nuts] ✘NEO-M8N vs. NEO-M8T

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon May 21 14:39:33 UTC 2018

Hi

> On May 20, 2018, at 10:58 PM, Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com> wrote:
>
> Yo Bob!
>
> On Sun, 20 May 2018 22:53:37 -0400
> Bob kb8tq <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:
>
>> If you look at the section under “timing (page 79)” in the uBlox
>> manual you will find all the fun stuff that makes the T different.
>> One of the timing messages includes the time offset between the pps
>> output and the real GPS time solution. Page 351 and after are the
>> time related commands. The stuff back around page 358 looks like it’s
>> got the sawtooth data in it.
>
> Yeah, which does me zero good real time.  I'm putting the PPS into a
> TICC.  My TICC has not way to accept real time corrections.  So that
> does me no good, except as a post processing step.

You have a *something* to read the TICC output it does not just do it all
on it’s own.

The same something at the same time gets the same data on the same
pulse to correct it. That’s real time. That device does the math for the
correction and presents it instantaneously. That is very much real time.

>> Bottom line is that with the sawtooth correction applied, you can get
>> down to below 1x10^-9 at one second on your plot.
>
> Yeah, which does me no good real time.
>
>> The T version will
>> automatically output the magic message with the data in it.
>
> Not seeing it by default.

Not by default You go through the 390 pages of their manual and eventually
find the bits to turn this and that on. When you do, those magic bits will enable
the data on a T version and will not enable it on a non-T version. At least that’s
the way it’s worked since the LEA-4T …

Bob