[time-nuts] ✘NEO-M8N vs. NEO-M8T

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon May 21 18:48:16 UTC 2018

Hi

> On May 21, 2018, at 2:08 PM, Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com> wrote:
>
> Yo Bob!

>>> Yes.  One follows the other.
>>
>> Not really, you can have a source of seconds that are all within 0.1
>> ns of the right length but are offset from UTC by 200 ns. ( stable
>> but not accurate)
>>
>> You can have a series of seconds that are all within 10 ns of UTC,
>> but one may be 20 ns to short and the next is 20 ns to long.
>> ( accurate but not stable )
>>
>> So, which of the two is more important?
>
> UTC is most important (to me), but if one has perfect UTC, then one also
> has perfect seconds.

Except that you are doing a design. That involves tradeoffs. Pre-processing a thing message
that comes in 800 ms before a pulse does not sound like a big deal to me. In your design it
apparently *is* a big deal. If you indeed want very tight UTC, that involves very similar
sorts of things. There are a *lot* of delays to be worked out. The offsets between GPS time
and UTC need to be downloaded and summed into the servo as well.

A GPSDO ( or anything that works like one) will have accurate second to second timing. In a
very general sense, it does not care about a time offset. A fixed delay of 100 ns is no different
than a fixed delay of 200 ns as far as it’s output or it’s function.

So, no, it’s not a drop dead simple choice.

Bob