[time-nuts] Sawtooth correction: next or previous PPS

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue May 22 01:19:59 UTC 2018

Hi

> On May 21, 2018, at 9:13 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:
>

> holrum at hotmail.com said:
>> One thing to look out for when messing with sawtooth messages is the
>> question of does the message come out before or after the PPS pulse...  good
>> look finding the answer in the receiver documentation...
>
> Has anybody asked the manufacturers?

At least in the framework of Furuno and myself … yes. Not via email but face to face
with their head of design engineering.

> This should be easy to see if you record the PPS offset referenced to a good
> clock and compare that to the reported offset.

The real simple answer is that you have four cases. Pulse before vs pulse after plus
adds or subtracts. That’s not so may that you can’t just try it and see. It turns out to
be very obvious when you get the right one.

Bob