[time-nuts] Helium and MEMS oscillators don;t mix well

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Nov 1 18:57:23 UTC 2018

Hi

A mil standard leak test works like this:

First you run a bubble leak, generally in something like hot synthetic oil. If the leak
is too big, you will not catch it with a helium test.

Next you put the parts in a pressure vessel and pressurize it with helium (or possibly
a gas mix). How high a pressure and how long depend a bit on just what you are testing.

After they have soaked for a while, you de-pressurize and let the residual gas on the
surface of the parts fly away. That does not take long at all.

The go into a mass spectrometer and get pumped down while it looks for an outflow
of helium. A flow above a certain level means it’s a failure.  What that level is depends
on the spec on the part and it’s size.

Many thousands of parts get tested this way every (working) day of the year.

Bob