[time-nuts] Helium and MEMS oscillators don;t mix well

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Nov 1 19:49:43 UTC 2018

Hi

If you take an IC package up to fairly high pressure for a few hours (and it’s
defective) you can pretty well fill it with helium and have it well above 1 ATM internal
pressure. It will then leak out (maybe over a few years) until it gets back down to one
atmosphere internally.

 In some really rare conditions, you can pressurize it to high enough PSI to inflate the
package when the pressure goes back to 1ATM. Even then the oscillators generally still work ok.
This is inflation not really a function of helium. It’s just a function of what a lot of PSI does to
a sealed package. You could inflate it with air and see the same thing.

Getting helium in a properly sealed package  *without* a lot of pressure *and* very
high concentrations (like 100%) …. very difficult.

Bob