[time-nuts] GPIB interfaces these days

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Fri Nov 2 08:04:02 UTC 2018

So I've got some test equipment devices (mostly HP) with GPIB (or
actually HPIB) connectors. Also a few others as non-HP stuff.

Mostly I have talked to them with a NI GPIB card in a PCMCIA slot in a
laptop. Works great but the small notebook PC I have with a PCMIA slot
is from the early 2000's and I'm worrying what if it dies. It is running
XP but usually not on the internet.

I also have a couple very early aluminum case Prologix USB interfaces
that I haven't tried to use in 10 years. I think I remember hearing
these early ones had some issues, and I'd have to dig to re-learn how to
talk to them.

So I haven't looked at GPIB interface devices in a long time but I'm
getting a bit paranoid about the good NI PCMCIA card in a very old PC.

I don't remember seeing much discussion about this lately.

Is there anything new I should look at. I would have thought there might
be something with Arduino or maybe Ras Pi by now, possibly needing some
interfacing hardware, but I'm not aware of anything.

So, any advice from the group?  Old or new. Are my very old Prologix
interfaces still worth looking at?

-Rex