[time-nuts] hp 10544A and 10811A ovenized oscillators

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 00:06:40 UTC 2018

HI I have had experience with two 10811 oscillators which turned out to have the same problem.
Inside there is a gold plated ferule mounted in teflon at the junction of the tuning diode and
the transistor, obviously considered a very high impedance point, or may be just sensitive to leakage.
In both cases the joint was not soldered. A touch of solder and they behaved perfectly. Before,
they did not respond to the adjusting voltage.
Thinking about it again, maybe the diodes were variable, so they assembled the oscillator so that
the oven could operate, to see if they covered a tuning range test. If they did not they could change the diode.
If they forgot, they did not go back and solder the joint.
I have been feeling bad for some years as I bought a 10811 from a ham on the popular trading site, and when
I complined that it was out of range and would not tune he refunded my money. A few months later, when a
previously good unit failed, and I did a post mortem, I found the problem, and checking the first bad unit
it had the same problem. When I looked for the ID of the guy who sold it to me I could not find it,
and I feel I owe him the price. After all he was a ham, not some shonky dealer.
So if two samples in four units I have had the fault, it is worth checking if troubles appear.
cheers,
Neville Michie