[time-nuts] Racal Dana 9478 frequency distribution system with option 04B high stability oven (5x10^-10/day aging rate).

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Nov 4 13:20:26 UTC 2018

Hi

One would *guess* that the PLL bandwidth in the 9578 is wider than what you see in a typical
GPSDO. As long as they don’t both line up at the same point, noise and phase peaking should
not be a big deal. Depending on how clean your GPSDO is, the 9578 might clean things up a bit.

For timing / high precision, putting another PLL into things is going to add some delay and possibly
some temperature dependence. Since you are running normal test gear, neither of those issues
should be significant enough to impact anything.  In this environment 75 ohms vs 50 ohms is also
not a big deal, but it will have slightly more impact, fix it if you can, don’t sweat it if you can’t.

Bob