[time-nuts] HP 58503B PSU replacement

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Thu Nov 8 21:43:27 UTC 2018

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018, 14:53 George Atkinson via time-nuts <
time-nuts at lists.febo.com wrote:

> Last month I was at the UK “National” hamfest and in the flea market area
> a seller had a HP 58503B for sale. It was missing the cover and power
> supply (AC mains version)including mounting. However it was only £3 (<5$)
> so it was a no-brainer to buy it. Research shows that PSU failure is fairly
> common on these units.

I had the PSU fail in my 58503A. It keeps trying to start, then stops. I
have checked capacitors with an ESR meter, but could not fix it.

Three is a good chance your unit takes the same PSU. If so

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEL-POWER-MAP55-4003-55W-Quad-Output-Embedded-Switch-Mode-Power-Supply-SMPS/132833037734

may be of interest. I had an offer of £45 accepted yesterday.

Those power supplies can often be found up to £300 on eBay, but Arrow
Electronics sells them new at £120.

Dave.