[time-nuts] WWV Doppler Shift

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Thu Nov 22 04:10:34 UTC 2018

On Wed 2018-11-21T20:01:18-0800 Tom Van Baak hath writ:
> Right.  It's not obvious to me either.  I've been looking some time
> for the right book, article, or web page to hand out when people ask
> that question.  The same goes for a rotating planet made of foam vs.
> water vs.  diamond question.  It's possible that separating "SR" and
> "GR", as newcomers to relativity (me too) often do, is itself the
> problem in this case.  When two things magically equal or cancel
> there's usually a deeper reason.

The gravitational redshift is your depth in the gravitational
potential well.  That is how far down you are from Infinity.
The geoid is an equipotential surface.

--
Steve Allen                    <sla at ucolick.org>              WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB 260  Natural Sciences II, Room 165  Lat  +36.99855