[time-nuts] TimeSource 2500

Dmitry Khorkin ekaninchen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 10:54:16 UTC 2018

Thank you everyone for replies!

Setup i am using right now, it is PC -> Moxa Nport 5610 -> TS2500. Though i
also tried direct connection with USB->RS232 cable.
NPort is true RS232, and works as expected, because i freely communicate
with my other equipment.
I tried all possible settings on the serial port and tried with most
operating modes (reverse telnet, PPP, TCT Server).
Currently operating mode on NPort makes itself transparent and i can
connect through "tty" as though NPort wasn't there. (This mode works fine
with other equipment).

Further investigation revealed some abnormalities with the data ports
namely voltages on the pins there they shouldn't be present on TS2500.
All data connections were cut, i measured directly on TimeSource with DMM
and scope.
1) Craft port (TS2500)
Pin    Signal     Voltage
2       Tx          0V
3       Rx          9.3V     <=== DC, nothing on the scope
4       DSR       0V
5       GND       0V
6       DRT       0V
7       frame     -9.7V    <=== DC nothing on the scope
8       frame     0V

2) RS232 (TS2500)
Pin    Signal     Voltage
1       DCD        0V
2       Rx           9.4V           <=== DC nothing on the scope
3       Tx           -9.4  +9.6V  <=== every 6 seconds sends data as
described below
4       DTR        0V
5       GND        0V
6       DSR        0V
7       RTS        0V
8       CTS        9.3V           <=== doesn't go down

For RS232 (Tx pin) character duration is about 104 usec, which corresponds
to 9600 bps.
Information it sends is: "ATE0&R1&C1S0=1", every 6 seconds. Though if i
echo something, it stops for 62 seconds and then repeats spamming with 6
sec period.
 E0   = turn off echo
 &R1 = &R - RTS/CTS option; &R1 - Ignore CTS from DTE (always send)
 &C1 = &C - Data Carrier detect option; &C1 - DCD follows carrier state
 S0=1 - 1 ring before auto answer

I was unable to act upon this modem initialization string. Minicom sees
input, but i still don't get reply when sending anything.

So TX on both ports are definitely working, but Rx on those ports are
constantly in +9,4V state.
Also CTS pin on RS232 is constantly high and what is more bewildering, pin
7 on Craft port, which marked as "frame" has -9,7VDC potential. At the same
time pin 8, which is also "frame" has GND potential.

Any thoughts?
I also tried to find a way to factory reset device, but there is no such
button outside and inside there is only one jumper "JP1". Removing it
didn't seem to do anything.

BRGRDS,
Dmitry