[time-nuts] Lucent RFTGM-II-Rb (KS-24019 L108) Standalone

ziggy9+time-nuts at pumpkinbrook.com ziggy9+time-nuts at pumpkinbrook.com
Sat Nov 24 03:23:54 UTC 2018

Lucent RFTGm-II-Rb (KS-24019 L108) Standalone Notes

After further investigation, I found that the pinout in the ‘Lucent RFTGm-II-XO Notes’ pdf from John Warner @ Warner Labs is correct. And after sifting through lots of messages and archives, I found one message from Guido Kueppers from 11 Feb 2011 that was basically right on but addressed the RFTG-m-Rb model. <https://lists.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts_lists.febo.com/2011-February/036741.html> The same information would appear to apply to the RFTGm-II-Rb as well.

To reiterate: the normal connections between the Rb and XO are:

Rb					Xo
1 -  Amplitude Det.—>  - 5 Normally HIGH
2 -  Unused/W202-A     - 4
3 -  Rb Alarm —>       - 3 Normally about 3.3v
4 -  <— GPS Data Rx    - 2 (TTL level, idle HIGH) Goes to W202-B in Rb
5 -  N/C Unused?       - 1 Normally LOW
6 -  Unused/W203-A     - 9
7 -  PPS Out from Rb   - 8 (400us, TTL level, idle LOW)
8 -  PPS In (from XO)  - 7 ‘REF’ in RFTGM software phase error display
9 -  PPS In from GPS   - 6 (200ms, TTL level, idle LOW) Goes to W203-B in Rb

The quick summary is that you simply need to connect pin 4 directly to a Motorola Oncore receiver outputting @@Ea messages each second (binary mode), and the Oncore PPS output directly to pin 9. I also jumpered pin 9 to pin 8, the REF PPS input. My testing was done using an Oncore GT+. It does not appear to be necessary to use the UT+.

Additional notes:
-) Unlike the KS-24361, no messages besides the @@Ea need to be sent by the GPS.
-) TRAIM does not appear to be required.
-) There is no need for inverters on any signal lines.
-) Putting my Oncore in position hold mode changes the tracked satellites to 1, causing a ‘No GPS’ error. Just leave it in 3D mode.
-) After the first continuous run over night, the unit made a frequency adjustment. It was a large enough step to cause a fault. A soft reset was done and the unit then operated normally.
-) The @@Ea message update rate can be as long as 8 seconds before triggering a ‘No GPS’ error. No known benefit to making it > 1 second.
-) In the RFTGM software, the password to the EPR Rb control menu is ‘ALICE’, the password to the EPR XO control menu is ‘ALICE2’

The BEST part of this is that the Oncore connector footprint on the daughterboard of the RFTGm-II-Rb is connected to the proper pins of the interface port. If you use an Oncore with the onboard Lithium battery and preconfigure it out of idle mode with @@Ea01, you can drop it in and it will just work. There is some fiddling with the antenna port (and you COULD populate the missing parts on the RFTG daughterboard I guess) but that’s not much of a barrier.

There may be a screenshot of RFTGM software showing normal disciplined operation: