[time-nuts] WWV/H Doppler Shift

Scud West scudwest at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 01:40:51 UTC 2018

I’ve been monitoring the Doppler shift of WWV/H and CHU for a while now from my location 100 km / 60 mi NW of Seattle.

The receiver is a QS1R, using an LTC2208 16 bit ADC, and the 125 MHz clock is provided by a Bodnar GPSDO.  A Wellbrook ALA1530S+ loop antenna provides good coverage for the entire range.

I use a Python script to tune the QS1R to each frequency for 11 seconds while in CW mode.  The 800 Hz beat frequency is measured using the open source program Fldigi.

Fldigi is mainly intended for HF digital modes like RTTY and PSK31, but the “Frequency Analysis” function is effectively an audio frequency counter with .001 Hz resolution, updated every 1.024 seconds.  The first 5 or 6 samples are discarded after a frequency change.  The signal must be within about ± 5 Hz.

During many minutes, WWV transmits a 500 Hz tone, and WWVH a 600 Hz tone (or the reverse).  By treating these as separate carriers (e.g. tuning to 5.0006 MHz) I'm able to separate the Doppler shift and signal strength of the two stations.  It's remarkable that Fldigi is able to make an accurate measurement of the 500/600 Hz "carriers", since there is a 40 ms gap surrounding the tick sound each second.

I've just recently got enough of a handle on Python, Matplotlib, Pandas, JupyterLab, and other excellent tools to even begin to analyze and display the data.