[time-nuts] A silly question ...

Dave B g8kbvdave at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 1 08:03:05 UTC 2018

Many thanks to all the respondents to my question.

Nice to know I can still think some things through in a good way!  ;-)

Re the below..

Yes, I should have said "dual trace" not "dual beam".  "My bad" as some say.

I should know better, having spent some 3 1/2 years of my life as
in-house service serf at Tek here in the UK (Harpenden and Maidenhead)
towards the end of the transition between the venerable "steam driven"
500 series (Valved, or Tubed 'scopes) and the then new-fangled solid
state equipment, I do indeed know how the 465 (and a lot of other Tek
products of that era) work, and it's differences to the true "dual beam"
instruments (such as the 556 and so on.)

Also, as an RF guy, coax run's are always terminated where so needed at
times like this, and trigger points set-up to be as close to the mid
point of the sharpest edge of a clock signal as possible.  (Taking note
of the specification of whatever is producing it, so as not to get hit
by any pulse width jitter that may be a "known feature" etc.)  In this
instance, two sinusiods, so I chose the rising edge, just because ...

Though it is not "needed" to show two signals on screen at the time, it
is a lot easier (on the eye) to compare one signal drifting past another
(known frequency) signal, not relying on the otherwise excellent
graticule for the purpose I need.

In this instance, I'm more interested in the relative frequency between
the two sources, so the mk1 eyeball and trigger set-up is good enough
for my needs.

When the project is eventually deployed, it will be referenced to the
Thunderbolt and generate a sufficiently stable and accurate 20.45 (and
divisions of) MHz clock for other equipment.

But interesting reading none the lest.

Thanks very much again to all respondents.

Much appreciated.

Dave B. (G0WBX)

PS:    I do like the idea of setting up a camera to take a photo of the
'scope every hour or so!  Not practical for many I guess, but it
illustrates the point well.   But the aliasing opportunity I think would
be perhaps too great, in essence being a sampled data system by then.
Also, one then needs an accurate 1 hour timer!   And so it goes on ;-)

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software.
::