[time-nuts] 10MHz standard for comms receivers

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Oct 1 21:24:31 UTC 2018

Hi

At least on the parts I’ve used, spread spectrum is a software controlled feature.
You use it or not depending on what you are trying to do. There are a lot of systems
out there that have fairly tight timing needs (though not time nut level stuff).

Yes, this all *assumes* you are writing code from scratch for the micro. That may or
may not be the case……

The main reason for spread spectrum is to make EMI requirements easier to pass.
Once you get to a small enough part, it really doesn’t generate all that much EMI internally.
Again, a lot of assumptions get into that.

Bob