[time-nuts] TAPR TICC / PRS10

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Oct 5 02:19:05 UTC 2018

Hi

If you are doing a single device measurement *and* that device is also the reference,
the result will simply be the noise from the TICC.

If you are doing an A / B comparison of two devices, both with 1 pps outputs, any error
from the GPSDO will scale with the time delta between the 1 pps arrival times. Simply put,
no big deal if they are within a few hundred nanoseconds of each other.

At long offsets (say a half second) a 1 ppb error from the GPSDO will give you a half
nanosecond timing error on the comparison. That may or may not be significant, depending
on what else is going on.

If your GPSDO’s / standards  are running well, you will have a tough time measuring their actual ADEV
at short tau with a TICC. What you will be plotting is the noise floor of the TICC. That’s not a knock on
the TICC, it does a good job for what it is. It simply can’t do everything ….

Bob