[time-nuts] GPSDO uncertainties

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Oct 8 15:11:00 UTC 2018

Hi

The question becomes very much, what confidence level are you after? Is 99%
good enough? Are you after 99.9999%? Obviously the stability gets worse as
you crank on more nines.

Next layer to the onion is - how long have things been running and under what
conditions are they running? A few days is probably the minimum for any sort of
reasonable performance. A month or more will indeed help a bit. A stable temperature
environment is also going to have a direct impact on performance.

Things like survey position and antenna location ( number of sats viewed at all times)
will have a more subtle impact on frequency. Solar storms and ionospheric stability (sun
spot cycle) eventually get into the picture if you put in enough nines.

So simple answer: better than 2x10^-9 with any practical number of nines involved. Better
than 2x10^-10 with rational numbers (99.9 or 99.99). Maybe 2x10^-11 at the 99% level, but
probably not.

Since this is a very non-standard measure your numbers may not match my numbers. ADEV
was invented primarily because this sort of measure has so many issues. One of the issues
is that you need a *lot* of data to even begin to estimate the confidence levels and they are
very dependent on data set size. A typical spec tends to have weird stuff like “99.9%
based on 4 out of 5 runs of 100 hours”.  Statements like that tend to make a statistics guy
groan ….(or throw something at you).

Bob