[time-nuts] Oscilloscope-based measurements of frequency stability

Christoph Kopetzky ck at cksd.de
Wed Oct 10 13:50:51 UTC 2018

Hello Dana,

thank you for your detailied description. I will try this out in the
next days.
Scopes became a right normal permanent instrument in the electronics lab
of time-nuts
like a multimeter for the electrician.
Before I connect a counter onto a signalsource which I want to
characterize I am first looking with the scope on it.
A few month ago I built an dual card for a quarz ofen oscillator from Eb...
After measuring the output frequency on both channels I was wondering
why this one  gave absolute nonsense instead of the expected 10 MHz count.
After some experiments I hooked on the scope and looked on the signaltrace.
Instead of a pure sinusoidal signal which I assumed the scope showed a
totally
distorted multisinusoidal signal which had no definitive wavelength but
a overlapped
form with several peaks like a modulated sinusoidal carrier wave mixed
with with another sinusoidal signal with a frequency relation of 10 : 1.
After rerouting some circuit tracks and optimizing the shielding the
effect was gone.
So this was the reason why my scope became an every time instrument in
my lab.

--

mit freundlichen Gruessen - with best Regards

Christoph Kopetzky