[time-nuts] RF isolation amplifier question

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Oct 14 20:31:41 UTC 2018

Hi

What you have there is known as a cascade buffer amplifier. The common base
stage combined with the common emitter has some well known issues at high
frequencies ( like UHF / microwave). That’s the tradeoff for having really good
isolation at HF and usually at VHF.

Put a sniffer loop near the circuit and look with a good wide range spectrum analyzer.
Drive the circuit over a range of input levels. Try terminating the output with odd loads.
Watch for birdies popping up and then fiddle things to kill them.

As others have noted, those may not be the best parts to use for this. I would not replace
it with something simple, it should have a lot of isolation when it works correctly.

Bob