[time-nuts] PRS10 MDEV

Bob Albert bob91343 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 15 04:45:36 UTC 2018

 Off topic, but I heard tonight that WWV is going off the air at the end of this month.
    On Sunday, October 14, 2018, 9:24:51 PM PDT, Tom Van Baak <tvb at LeapSecond.com> wrote:

 > This is just a free running PRS10 wired to a TAPR TICC, I thought that I would
> run some stand alone tests before I brought my GPSDO in line too.

Ok, good idea to do a stand alone test. The plateau, though, is interesting and I wouldn't quite have expected that in a 1PPS vs 10 MHz self-test. Let's look into that.

> The PRS10 is the source for the 10MHz as well as reading the 1PPS output from it.

Ah, ok, that would explain the unusually low MDEV beyond tau 1000. Since you're essentially comparing the oscillator with itself you would expect the MDEV numbers to be [far] lower than the performance of an actual frequency standard.

Once you fire up your GPSDO and use that as a reference, your PRS10 ADEV/MDEV numbers will look more appropriate.

/tvb