[time-nuts] Question about the PLL of Trimble Thunderbold

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Oct 24 21:54:32 UTC 2018

Hi

The Thunderbolt actually is not a real good solution if you want to synchronize to something other than GPS. It
depends on direct phase data from its internal GPS chip set to do the GPSDO magic. A board that has a PPS
signal between the GPS and “PLL” probably is a better way to go.

Even with a board that has a PPS internally, it’s not going to like an abrupt phase change between GPS and “something
else”. It needs some customization of the firmware to handle this kind of transition. That makes your project more of a
“from scratch” kind of thing ….

Bob