[time-nuts] How can I measure time-delay of a cable with HP 5370B time-interval counter?

Mark Goldberg marklgoldberg at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 16:29:07 UTC 2018

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 8:25 AM Dr. David Kirkby <
drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk> wrote:

> I have a 100 MHz scope, and can borrow a 300 MHz scope, but I don't have
> anything really fast.
>
> I have a VNA which can make measurements of phase difference down to 300
> kHz, but don't trust those because of the fact one calibrates with a 50 ohm
> load, 50 ohm calibration standards, yet I know the impedance will rise well
> above 50 ohms at low frequencies.
>
> I was looking for a different approach than a VNA, to make comparisons with
> a VNA.
>
> Dave

My MDO3024 (a modern scope) can measure delay and phase between two inputs,
using the measured zero crossings, including statistics of the measurement.
If you can obtain a similar scope, you could use two identical 1 Meg probes
and a separate termination.

Regards,

Mark