[time-nuts] Question about the PLL of Trimble Thunderbold

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Oct 30 01:12:10 UTC 2018

Hi

Ok, let’s take a look at this is a bit more detail. Let’s say you have a reference oscillator ( = the source
of sync) and a locked oscillator ( = the target of the sync).

Both devices have jitter. Unfortunately this an ill defined term and we can go on almost forever about what
is or isn’t a valid measure. One way to measure it is ADEV, there are many others. Since ADEV data is
commonly available ( rather than it being a perfect measure), lets use ADEV while understanding that it
is not perfect.

If 1 pps is the base timing exchange point, the jitter we are concerned with will be in the vicinity of 1 second.
A good guess is that a practical control loop will need a few samples to work properly and that you probably
will be still concerned past 10 seconds.

If the net result is going to be “sync to a couple of ps”, then the ADEV on both sources likely needs to be
well below the sync target. How far is going to depend a lot on the other noise sources in the system. A
few ps comes out to a total ADEV below 1x10^-11. If the combination needs to be well below, you may be in
the 1 to 4x10*-12 range.  Coming back to the “ADEV is not ideal”, the range of tau may well get out to the 0.1
second to 100 second range.

Indeed these are all fairly hand waving sorts of arguments. They should be treated more as general limits
than some sort of absolutes. If the sources involved are not at least in the general vicinity of these numbers,
you may  want to re-think things. One example of this is the fact that GPS is nowhere near as good as these
limits.

Simply put, you can’t sync to GPS to the “couple of ps” level. There is no target to hit at the “couple ps level”.
Down there,  it’s just noise.  Locking to noise and calling it “sync” makes no sense. If you build two devices and
compare them, they will not track at the desired level. This is the reason a typical GPSDO runs very long time
constants in it’s control loop and/or accepts a lot more time error than the low ps level. Indeed a many thousands
of dollars GPS will do about 10X better than a low cost unit. Even that device has way more noise that your target.

Another part of the very slow time constants involved in GPSDO’s is that when you switch between sources, there
is a long period of time while things re-align to the new signal (your external pps). The external signal almost
certainly has a time offset relative to GPS. How you handle that is up to you (do you re-align sync output to that
time or not). More subtly, it may have a drift rate. The control loop will need to be able to handle that as well. Various
telecom sync systems handle these issues in different ways. There is no single “right” solution.

Yes, there are a *lot* of assumptions and more than a few simplifications above.

Lots of fun !!

Bob