[time-nuts] MEMS oscillators

Joe Leikhim jleikhim at leikhim.com
Tue Oct 30 17:39:50 UTC 2018

This is fascinating. I am a bit skeptical if this actually happened.

I had an opportunity to meet an engineer that was involved with early
HDTV development. Apparently early in his career he invented a color
projection CRT for cinema. It had some sort of target inside of it (I
think plastic) that was subjected to the electron beam but would outgas
hydrogen in significant amounts and that hydrogen would ionize in the
electron beam which was undesired. So they incorporated a band of
titanium around the neck of the tube and the titanium apparently allows
hydrogen to collect and migrate through it even though there is a vacuum
inside the tube. It worked as intended. Then the Chinese tried to
replicate the design and did not use a titanium band because they had no
idea it had a purpose. Their tubes failed miserably.

--
Joe Leikhim

Leikhim and Associates

Communications Consultants