[time-nuts] distribution of precision time via fiber networks

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 1 14:25:16 UTC 2018

On 9/1/18 7:00 AM, Scott McGrath wrote:
> There was a paper published when NASA did something similar for LC39 and the VAB.    Anyone have a copy because the link i have is dead.
>
> As I recall it was some trick and compensating for thermal effects on the fiber itself was a large part of the effort.

I don't know about at the Cape (I'm not sure what the *need* for
precision timing at that level might be, but it could be there).

There's a whole lot of stuff that's been published about distributing
frequency references and holding tight phase tolerances at the Deep
Space Network stations, since they do arraying using multiple apertures,
as well as run of the mill VLBI stuff.

https://deepspace.jpl.nasa.gov/dsndocs/810-005/304/304B.pdf is the
"production" system for DSN, but as mentioned therein, there are various
improved schemes in development.

You might search for publications by Bob Tjoelker.

  While there are JPL papers in IEEE sources behind paywalls, almost
always, they're also available in NTRS (https://ntrs.nasa.gov/) or JPL's
piece (https://trs.jpl.nasa.gov/). If the paper isn't online for free in
that location, you can send an email to NASA (there's a form at
ntrs.nasa.gov) or the JPL librarian (link at the trs site) and they'll
send it to you.  Another good place to look for DSN related stuff is here:

https://ipnpr.jpl.nasa.gov/

The Chinese seem to have been publishing lots of papers on Arxiv
recently about "joint time and frequency distribution"