[time-nuts] Lots of Off Topic discussion

Brian Lloyd brian at lloyd.aero
Sat Sep 1 18:37:09 UTC 2018

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 9:13 AM, David G. McGaw <david.g.mcgaw at dartmouth.edu>
wrote:

> I consider saving WWV/WWVH/WWVB to be ON topic.  They may not be as
> precise as some on this list like to achieve, but they are publicly
> available methods of time dissemination.  I am very concerned that factions
> of NIST consider that this should no longer be part of their mission.

I think it is still on-topic for the following reasons:

1. In many parts of the world, WWV is still a convenient time reference.
You can get human-accurate time with nothing more than a $20 shortwave
receiver.  No, it is not time-nuts accurate but it will do for most things
that people do, including celestial navigation and knowing when to come to
dinner.

2. It is a stable RF source for people monitoring changes in the the
ionosphere. Whatever else it is, we KNOW they are emitting ON 2.5, 5, 10,
15, 20, and 25 MHz.

I also consider the discussion of GPS jamming to be relevant because, for
people who DO want/need time-nuts accuracy, GPS is far and away the most
convenient reference. Knowing how it might fail is useful.

YMMV.

--

Brian Lloyd
706 Flightline