[time-nuts] Lots of Off Topic discussion

Peter Laws plaws0 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 03:59:44 UTC 2018

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 7:25 PM Bob kb8tq <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:

> I most certainly *have* seen an NTP server that ran off of WWVB and relayed
> the result to the internet. The fun part was that they had entered the “delay”

I didn't say it COULD not -- W3HCF and his group didn't miss much in
the code -- but what I'm saying is that in 20+ years of dinking with
NTP as part of my job, I HAVE not seen any evidence of WWV being used
as a "refclock".  Certainly not in the last decade.  Maybe there were
many of them when Dr Mills first published the standards and reference
implementation back in the 1980s but not now.

I want to be outraged over this cut but until I have a coherent,
evidence-based argument in favor of keeping the stations, I'm going to
keep my powder dry.