[time-nuts] Frequency over fiber (was WWV and legal issues)

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Sep 2 18:13:42 UTC 2018

Hi

Motion at a fault line can be a bit chaotic. As that motion stretches (or stops stretching)
the cable the delay is likely to change. How much does it change? no idea. If vibration
messes with it, stretch should as well.

Hopefully the fiber “spiralt” inside the outer jacket is enough to keep things from snapping
very quickly. Ground shifts around for a lot of reasons even if you are not on a fault line.
That’s why they design a certain amount of “slack” into the structure.

Bob

>>> https://pnsn.org/outreach/about-earthquakes/plate-tectonics

>>> https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1309/1309.1137.pdf
>>> https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1704/1704.06323.pdf