[time-nuts] PLL/GPSDO/etc learning resources for mere mortals

Forrest Christian (List Account) lists at packetflux.com
Mon Sep 3 11:33:15 UTC 2018

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far.

My underlying interest is learning about 1PPS holdover methodologies in the
presence of environmental changes (think outdoor day/night temperature
cycles).  My thoughts are that there are two ways that seem obvious to me
to implement a temperature-stable holdover:

1) Discipline an OCXO using some sort of control loop to a known frequency
(using an appropriate GPS receiver) and divide that down to 1 Hz.   This
solution has large parts in the analog domain, with a bit of a PID or other
similar control loop implemented in a micro, and the divider perhaps in a
FPGA or implemented with standard logic.  The challenge seems to me to be
how to temperature stabilize the entire DAC chain without putting it all in
an oven - on the other hand, it seems that this might not be quite as
critical as I think it is, due to the relatively limited frequency control
range of many OCXO's in comparison to the voltage range of that signal. But
I just don't know enough to be able to say for sure.  I probably need to
get a few surplus (or new) OCXO's and play with them.

2) Use a non-disciplined OCXO as a temperature-stable clock and feed this
clock into a FPGA where one could implement a 1Hz PLL or similar.   It
would seem to me that even measuring the OCXO's average frequency over a
long period using a GPS 1PPS source as a gate would get me somewhere toward
where I am headed, but I'm guessing that there's a lot of complexity I'm
not aware of.

I realize that a lot of what I just mentioned above contains a lot of
naivete.  I'm sort of at the stage that I sort of know what building blocks
I might be able to use (and perhaps these aren't even the right blocks),
but need to understand more about the internal workings of each.   There's
also the distinct possibility that I'm missing key building blocks that I
don't even know exist (or that they're needed).

I'm going to dig through "Deans Book" and see about obtaining a non-scarily
priced copy of the Phase Lock Techniques by Gardner.   Both seem like
excellent resources that will take me some time to digest.  Any other
suggestions would be happily received.