[time-nuts] Lost GPS lock or 1PPS recently?

David I. Emery die at dieconsulting.com
Thu Sep 6 23:26:06 UTC 2018

On Thu, Sep 06, 2018 at 06:35:23PM -0400, Scott McGrath wrote:
> Actually we DID have a radio based system that provided sufficient accuracy it was called eLORAN but it was killed by US politicians because they did not want a much more inexpensive to operate system ???competing??? with GPS.    Shutting down LORAN saved 32m dollars annually the NAVSTAR GPS program costs billions annually.

> Once again the empty suits won and the navigation and timing community lost.

	FWLIW, my brother in law was the USCG admiral who was CFO (and
chief bean counter) of the USCG when that was going down.  I tried, but
ran into the "it's classified" stuff...  I think they had a rationale
other than just cost.   There is an argument that denying GPS to
terrorists in crisis situations is much easier than denying E-Loran...

	He is not an empty suit BTW, though a helo pilot (and MBA) by
training and not a time nut or engineer.   Now long out of the USCG and
executive VP of a Cruise line.

--
  Dave Emery N1PRE/AE, die at dieconsulting.com  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in